La Fiere. Fought over a bridge that crossed the Merderet River, US Army historian S.L.A. Marshall said that, “La Fière Bridge was the fiercest battle in the European war.” In this episode, we’re going to the place that looms large in the history of the 82nd Airborne Division along with Paul Woodadge of @WW2TV to explore where the bridgehead that used to cut the peninsula in Normandy was secured.
For a more in depth look at this battle, check out this episode of @WW2TV : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCd_b-qey0Q&t=1590s
This episode was produced in partnership with The Gettysburg Museum of History. See how you can support history education & artifact preservation by visiting their website & store at https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com
Get your History Underground MERCH at www.thehistoryundergroundstore.com
Set yourself up with a 10% DISCOUNT on all Origin gear and nutritional products by entering the code “history10” at www.originmaine.com!
Other episodes that you might enjoy:
– Juno Beach: The Fighting Canadians on D-Day | History Traveler Episode 194: https://youtu.be/c5k4z_e9sk0
– The 12th SS Massacre of the Canadians in Normandy | History Traveler Episode 195: https://youtu.be/DCrG58SRc-M
– Holdy Battery: The Sister Gun Battery of Brecourt Manor | History Traveler Episode 187: https://youtu.be/JRFxIQ2X8fc
– German Bunkers of UTAH BEACH (D-Day!!!) | History Traveler Episode 190: https://youtu.be/M0InwW6lMpA
– The Private Collection of Major Dick Winters (EP 151): https://youtu.be/_MQd0EIBIgg
Support the effort to expand history education on PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/historyunderground
Help spread history and share this with a friend. And be sure to SUBSCRIBE to catch all of the latest content when it drops. Thanks!